101 Healthy snacks exist? Yes,indeed!
So,you’re bursting into the house and you’re STARVING! You open the fridge, stand there, sometimes eating WHILE you’re standing there. When you are done, you think “uh oh” I ate too much.
That’s because you let too much time elapse between meals and didn’t have your 101 healthy snacks ready. Not to worry. It’s a big list from which to choose but it’s a-coming atcha.
By the way here’s 5 easy, quick meal plans to get you in the “get it done” groove.
Why don’t we talk about snacks a bit first?
There are things to consider when you’re going to have a snack. The most important one is are you actually hungry? Sometimes when we feel hungry, we might just be dehydrated. If you’re not quite sure if you’re hungry, start by drinking a glass of water and waiting 5-10 minutes. If you’re still feeling hungry, grab one of these 101 healthy snacks I’ll list for you in just a bit.
Having a small bite between meals is a great way to give your metabolism a little kick even if you are not specifically eating foods to speed up metabolism like hot peppers. It also keeps you from becoming totally ravenous later, which can lead to overeating.
There is a difference however, between snacking and compulsive, emotional or binge eating. (All of these things have solutions which are covered in the free weight loss articles-see information by condition-top bar,click on W-chat me up if questions. Healthy snacking improves your overall health. It helps to curbs cravings, helps to regulates your mood, fights weight gain and boosts brain power.
- If you eat one of these 101 healthy snacks which include foods that boost energy, it will give you the energy you need to keep going all day.
- Foods like fruits, nuts, vegetables, low-fat dairy products, and legumes are satisfying and are packed with the nutrients your body needs.
- They prevent sugar highs and lows, so you are less likely to succumb to your sweet tooth.
- Nutrient-poor, sugary snacks as candy bars are definitely not on this 101 healthy snacks list because they make you “go high and then bottom out.”
- They give you a quick jolt of energy that is followed by a crash that can leave you hungry, sleepy, and unable to concentrate.
- Healthy snacks are slow-burning fuels that helps you keep going all day.
Having several snacks a day helps get rid of that post-meal sleepiness that comes from consuming too many calories at one sitting. The trick is to choose a snack with about 100 calories and a mix of carbohydrates, protein and healthy fats. Aim to eat your snack about halfway between meals to keep energy levels consistent.
The Reasons for Snacking healthfully:
Regain your focus and attention:
So you’re hungry and “can’t think straight.” Being hungry is indeed uncomfortable. Knowing it will still be awhile before the next meal, a small snack is a great way to buy a few hours of focus and attention, allowing us all to be more productive….not to mention making our tummies happier.
Stop the cravings:
Food cravings are the worst reasons for snacking. They can be caused by nutrient deficiencies, brain chemical or hormonal imbalances, and can just “hit you.” Best to have a “cravings strategy” in place-note that the articles referenced above lead you to the store for appetite and cravings control supplements that work!
If you are eating from a feeling of “low energy” you need “dopamine” and increasing dopamine-easy-is a way to get more energy and therefore stop low energy food cravings, as one major example.
- As mentioned above, snacking can be important in preventing overeating.
- When you’re starving, you tend to think you need more food than you actually require.
- Since it takes at least 20 minutes for your satisfied stomach to communicate to your brain that you are “full” that time can be the difference between a sensible meal and WAY TOO MUCH!
- Avoid becoming “crazy-hungry” by having one of my healthy snacks between meals.
Goals of Snacking
No matter what your reason for snacking, the is to feel satisfied. If you are hungry, you want to eat enough to avoid overeating later. If you’re snacking at a social event and aren’t hungry, a few bites should be enough to “grease the social wheels.” If you’re craving something, you want to stop the craving as quickly and effectively as possible.
This can be a supplement, a “replacement” or a long drink of cold water. Incidentally a LONG DRINK of cold water will turn off the craving for more of whatever you are eating if you think you’re doing “more than you should.” It helps if your snacks come in defined quantities to prevent mindless eating. This means: plastic zip-lock containers or baggies are a must!
Protein……..Healthy fat…….. fiber are what you are looking for- or some combination of these.
Foods that have a lot of sugar or refined carbohydrates will encourage continuous eating.
When eating for hunger, it is also a good idea to find healthy snacks that are nutrient- dense, whole and unprocessed foods. So with all of that said let’s get to it! Before snacking ask yourself “do I want crunchy,cheesy,sweet,cold,hot,etc.” Pre-prepare as much as possible. Try to see your snacks as part of your anti inflammatory diet.
Healthy snacks I personally like and eat :
1. Tomato juice or V8 or equivalent +tabasco+horseradish+pepper+celery stalk sprinkled with fresh chopped cilantro (always kept on hand)
2. Handful of organic non GMO almonds and blueberries
3. Sliced crunchy apple with cinnamon+stevia put in bag and shaken up for sweet tooth
4. Hummus and carrot and celery sticks-little tomatoes when in season too
5. Hard boiled eggs with pepper and paprika (tastes like deviled eggs!)
6. Small amount of greek yogurt with berries and walnuts-all organic
7. Air popped non GMO (it’s out there!) popcorn with a little sprinkling of non-pasteurized parmesean cheese. My dogs love when I make this.
8. Avocado-I eat one daily; amazing healthy high energy and high “healthy fat” food
9. Herbal tea-love organic cranberry!
10. Whole home grown tomato when in season-hard to get a good tomato but a good one is amazing-I eat it like an apple!
OK now I’m HUNGRY!!
Now for the other 91 healthy snacks!
11. Use Cucumber slices as Crackers :spread them with hummus, or super-thin cheese slices
12. Fruit “pie” :Take frozen organic berries (they’re out there!) from the freezer and pop them into a microwave-safe container. Microwave until bubbling, add vanilla, stevia,cinnamon,nutmeg,top with chopped organic walnuts.
13. Applesauce sprinkled with fresh cinnamon and stevia, topped with thin slice of cheese
14.Rice or Quinoa Cakes Spread with Nut Butter
15. Quesadilla:Non GMO corn tortillas with any leftover veggies inside, some cheese,and jalapeños- microwave until warm
16. Asian pear slices with a small piece of cheese-cheddar tastes best
17. Mango inside out and spicy: Cut crosshatches into a (pitted) mango half, and sprinkle with lime juice and cayenne pepper. I should have this on my list-love it!
18. A Handful of olives-choose your filling-I love the ones with jalapeños but you can get pimentos or almonds- or plain.
19. 1/2 cup garbanzo beans with chopped cilantro,1/2 tsp extra virgin olive oil, pepper
20. Baked Apple :One medium apple, cored, filled with 1 teaspoon cinnamon, stevia or raisins and baked until tender
21. Black beans and organic salsa
22. Banana Smoothie : ½ cup sliced frozen banana (and add a little ice), ¼ cup plain yogurt, blended until smooth, add stevia to taste if needed
23.Fruit Chips :Crispy dehydrated apples, pears, etc
24. Personalized trail mix: Take #23,add organic almonds and or walnuts,white raisins-watch portion size!
25.Quick and easy gazpacho: Combine tomato juice, cucumber, bell peppers and onion in a mini chopper/blender; pulse until chunky. Add a tsp of red wine vinegar.
26.Sliced tomato with a sprinkle of feta and olive oil topped with fresh basil-fresh herbs “make” the snack as far as I’m concerned
27. Stuffed celery sticks: A smidgen of cream cheese,3 stalks,top with paprika,chopped organic parsley or cilantro
28. More stuffed celery: 3 stalks,some mild nut butter like sunflower,dot the tops with raisins
29. Cold asparagus spears dipped in hot mustard-a small side of a hard cheese
30. Small portion of oatmeal with a favorite topping-not brown sugar please
31. Pistachios-that you need to shell to eat!
33.Roast Cauliflower Sprinkle with olive oil, pop in oven and pull out when browned.
34. Gluten free crackers with goat cheese
35. Gluten free crackers with thin “schmear” of nut butter
36. Honeydew, watermelon or cantaloupe with some whole fat cottage cheese
37. When you are truly too hungry,have nothing prepared and “need it now”: Whole fat cottage cheese with a healthy spoon of Polaner’s all fruit
38: Canned soup: Amy’s is the only brand that is non GMO, gluten free and BPA free.Tasty low cal choices are cream of tomato and mushroom for starters
39. Black Bean Hummus :Puree drained black beans with garlic clove, tahini, cumin, lemon juice
40.Apple Quesadillas: Put thinly sliced apple and a tiny bit of grated cheddar on a gluten free tortilla, warm in a pan or toaster oven
41. 2 Cheddar cheese rice-cakes with thin slices of….cheddar cheese!Oddly enough,raisins taste good on top!
42. Cucumber,beet,red onion salad: Sliced beets,slice cukes,slices of red onion with dill and a small amount (tsp) of full fat sour cream + red wine vinegar. (I love this one as a dinner salad-very healthy!)
43. Grated carrot salad :Grate one-two carrots, add some bits of red onion and sprinkle with a mix of red wine vinegar and dijon mustard-add raisins if you’d like too
44. 2 Graham crackers with thin slices of cheese
45. Real Deli Dill pickle with a slice of cheese-swiss is a nice choice
46.Mango smoothie (frozen mango, mango Greek Yogurt, and a small amount of orange juice)
47.Animal Crackers in a true true “emergency” situation. Like a vending machine scenario. Eat them slowly-you can inhale a whole box if not careful
48.Cheesy Breaded Tomatoes: Two roasted plum tomatoes sliced and topped with 2 tablespoons gluten-free breadcrumbs and a sprinkle of parmesan cheese…put back in toaster oven
49. Baked chips (about 7-10) with organic salsa-this is another “emergency” one and you MUST have the chips counted out and put in baggies
50.Sweet Potato Fries :One light-bulb sized sweet potato sliced, tossed with 1 teaspoon liquid coconut oil and baked at 400° for 10 minutes
51. I want Thanksgiving Wrap:A slice of turkey, swiss cheese, baby spinach leaves, and cranberry sauce wrapped in a gluten free tortilla
52. Water packed tuna on gluten free crackers-have this measured out too! (Watch the mercury- only eat tuna 2x/month and only if you have a low toxin load.
53. Sliced apple with cubed cheddar cheese
54. Craisons+organic almonds but watch the sugar content
55. Romaine Lettuce wrap: Two slices of chicken , 2 teaspoons honey mustard or spicy mustard, chopped cilantro rolled inside the lettuce leaf
56. Dried beets or dried sweet potatoes: Just like it sounds-if you want to get super fancy I tracked down the seasoning mix they use at Checker’s-it’s way too high in salt for regular use but wow does it taste great!
Here is what has been my closely guarded secret: 1/2 tsp black pepper, 1/2 tsp paprika, 1/4 tsp dried mustard, 2 TBSP seasoned salt. You slice up all the veggies, put liquid coconut oil in a spray bottle,spray,sprinkle seasoning,we just guessed at the timing-think it was 350-ish for 10 minutes on each side…..took forever but wow was it good!
57. Pecans (try five pecans roasted with stevia and 1 teaspoon cinnamon)
58. Chocolate Covered Strawberries (dip 5 strawberries in 2 squares of microwave-melted 85% dark chocolate)- and don’t over do this one
59. Lima beans (canned)-add pepper and garlic and then microwave
60. Grilled grapefruit-cinnamon and stevia on top-is delicious!
61. Grilled pineapple
62. Fresh spinach,walnuts and mandarin oranges: You’ll feel as if you are “gourmet dining.” A sprinkle of a light vinaigrette will finish this off
63.SitoMeal™ Vanilla Drink-The perfect whey protein,17 gms of protein,120 cals,no sugar-can add berries or try chocolate or berry flavors
64. Sitopharma’s Chocolate Mint fiber bar-it tastes’ like a girl scout cookie for only 150 cals and 13 grams of fiber. Satisfies the fiercest sweet tooth!
65. Cheesy Roasted Asparagus (four spears (spritzed with liquid coconut-oil spray) and topped with 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese, baked for 10 minutes at 400°
66. Goldfish crackers-I am including this only to stop you from a binge-out dinner. These are NOT particularly healthy snacks-they are processed but once in a while when you must have something naughty and all you have as a source is a vending machine-OK,fine. Just don’t get used to it.
67. Blackberries with greek yogurt
68. Portobello mushroom bakes: Clean out the insides of the mushrooms (2), stuff with gluten free breadcrumbs,add parmesan and a teeny bit of butter-grill in over or toaster oven.
69. Dates rolled in raw, organic coconut. Beware the junk in the grocery store-it has PLASTIC as an ingredient. Not kidding!
70. Homemade Popsicles (puree watermelon, strawberries, mango, banana, or “whatever” and freeze in popsicle molds
71.Bowl of organic bran flakes with 1/2 cup almond milk and berries
72. Pumpkin Seeds (2 tablespoons pumpkin seeds, sprayed with oil (just a spritz!) and baked at for 400° for 15 minutes or until brown. Sprinkle a tiny amount of salt on top)
73. 1/2 peach with 2 TBSPS cottage cheese
74. One scrambled egg with herbs,salt and pepper and one “grate” of cheese
75.Watermelon + pecans + fresh lime juice
76. Strawberry-Banana Smoothie : Frozen strawberries and bananas blended with a little almond milk
77. Radish Slices: Slice thinly and enjoy all the crunch of a potato chip raw or try the method of prep on #56
78. Stuffed Figs : Split plump dried figs and stuff with toasted hazelnuts…this is delicious
79. Chickpea Poppers: Completely dry canned chickpeas. Mix with a bit of extra-virgin olive oil, season with dried oregano and garlic salt and roast at 400° until crisp
80. Organic wasabi peas-but be careful-the calories rack up quickly. Drink lots of water with this snack
81.Easier Stuffed Mushrooms of any type: Briefly microwave button mushroom caps until softened. Fill with leftover pesto or tomato sauce
82. Frozen banana and chopped walnuts: Just how it sounds-coat banana with walnuts,wrap in foil,freeze
83. 2 squares,yes just 2 of 85% dark chocolate. 80% is OK if the 85% tastes bitter to you
84. Strawberry Salad 1 cup baby romaine leaves with ½ cup sliced strawberries, 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar, and a tsp of dijon mustard
85. Bean salad: Whatever canned beans you have, plus diced red onion, chopped cilantro or italian parsley,olive oil and red wine vinegar
86: Pretzels: Another “when stuck with only vending machine choices”, not one of our healthy snacks but a “when stuck snack.”
87. Organic string cheese with a few gluten free crackers
88. Mixed fruit salad: Cut up whatever you have, and toss with one tablespoon fresh-squeezed orange juice
89. Spaghetti squash: This needs to be truly pre-prepared but can be split,roasted and put into seal-able portions with a little grated cheese and seasoning-goes a long way
90. Eggplant: Slice entire eggplant thinly and microwave. Snack servings are 10 slices with 1/4 cup organic spaghetti sauce with a sprinkle of parmesan heated briefly in the microwave
91. Rice cake with cottage cheese and fruit-a plain rice cake is best
92. OK so you have a sweet tooth that won’t stop: A caramel rice cake, 2 squares of 80-85% dark chocolate microwaved and stevia sweetened to drizzle on the rice cake. Have the cold water ready.
93. 1/2 avocado filled with organic salsa
94. Romaine leaf-Veggie wrap: Take hummus, shredded carrots, cukes, red onions and put in the center of the leaf so you can roll it and eat it like a tortilla
95. Dried fruits and nuts of your choice-be careful of portion size here
96. Jicama sticks sprinkled with fresh lime juice and dipped in chili powder
97. Pre-prepared cocktail shrimp and dip
98. Small piece of poached salmon and spicy mustard sauce
99. Waldorf salad: Chopped apple,walnuts,raisins,moistened with greek yogurt, with a dash of fresh squeezed lemon
100. Broccoli florets dipped in olive oil spiced with chopped basil,eating healthten on top of gluten free crackers
101. Strawberry soup: Take frozen organic strawberries and microwave into a warm soup-top with a TBSP of greek yogurt-sounds weird but it truly yummy