Skin appeal peaks when you shrink pores!
What is skin appeal? It’s a combination of things,right?
As you get older, you might be so focused on wrinkles and maybe even sun damage repair that you neglect another area of your skin: the size of your pores.
There are a number of misconceptions about pores out there.
It’s truly a total myth that you can “open” them up with steam and “close” them with ice water.
While you can’t really change the size of your pores, if they are something you feel self-conscious about, you can take some steps to make them look considerably less visible.
Many women feel that the size of their pores interferes with their skin appeal.
Men even feel this way too but don’t talk about it other than to ME but they don’t like oversized pores either! So here’s to more skin appeal for men and women. Here is all about pores and what to do to minimize them.
What Are Pores?
- Pores are small openings on the surface of your skin. They contain oil glands and hair follicles.
- Oil is released onto the skin through the pores.
- In a perfect skin-world, the amount of oil the glands produce would be just enough, so that it spreads evenly on your skin, without making your skin look or feel oily.
What Makes Them Larger and lower on the Skin appeal scale?
The size of your pores is determined by the location of the pores as well as your innate genetics. Some people just plain have larger, more noticeable pores than other people do.
- And some areas of the skin have larger pores than others, because the oil glands leading to the pores are larger.
- If the issues are genes or the size of the oil gland you can’t do too much.
- People who naturally have oily skin sometimes have larger pores, since the increased oil production increases the size of the pore.
- But don’t despair,I do have fixes for this as an oily skinned doctor with nearly invisible pores!
Some external factors can make your pores larger as well.
The breakdown of the skin’s building blocks, elastin and collagen can enlarge pores and all in all take away from skin appeal.
The loss of collagen and elastin takes place as people get older, is accelerated by sun exposure and smoking and can enlarge pores.
As you age, the loss of collagen means that your skin and pores doesn’t have the support structure to keep your pores their natural size. So keep in mind that stimulating collagen and elastin, something I’ve talked about tons of times with serious skin care discussions, will add to skin appeal and keep the pores in check…for the most part…more tricks coming. I’m assuming you know the skin magic of derma-rolling,then adding our hyaluronic (best penetrating)+C/most gentle?
Going to sleep with your makeup on or not cleansing your skin properly can also make your pores look bigger.
Oil builds up and combines with any dirt, makeup or even dead skin cells, clogging the pores and making them bigger. The opposite of skin appeal, right?
What You Can Do at home:
While you can’t get rid of your pores (you need them) and you can’t open or close them, you can do some things to make them less visible.
First, you might want to review the products you are using on your skin. Look for noncomedogenic makeup or moisturizing products, as they won’t clog your pores.
It’s a good idea to avoid heavy, oily products such as petroleum jelly, at least on your face.
- Exfoliation is a really crucial step in skin care I keep emphacizing and few people are really listening. If you are-tell me!
- Exfoliation is the most important step when it comes to minimizing the size of your pores, because it removes dead skin cells from the surface of your skin.
- There are a number of ways to exfoliate, including at home options and in-office options.
- At home, you can try adding a product that contains an alpha or beta hydroxy acid to your skincare routine.
A beta hydroxy acid, such as a good salicylic acid cleanser, cleans inside the pores and helps slough off dead skin cells and also . Salicyic acid is a part of a class of medications called keratolytics. Keratolytics soften the top layer of the skin (epidermis), making it easier to remove dead and shedding skin cells.
- Salicylic acid also known to breaks down blackheads and whiteheads and other types of acne.
- It then prevents pores from clogging up again by constricting pore diameter, and creating room for new skin cell growth.
- Because of its fabulous effect on skin cells, salicylic acid is used in several shampoos to treat dandruff.
An alpha hydroxy acid, such as glycolic lotion, helps exfoliate the top layer of skin, making skin look smoother, having tighter pores and more skin appeal.
Glycolic acid contains small molecules which easily penetrate into your skin. Once it penetrates the surface it then loosens up the glue-ish substance that binds skin cells together and allows the skin to shed the old dead cells.
These cells make your skin look dull as well as making your pores look bigger. Once the skin is rid of the old cells it glows and looks less “pore-filled” giving you a way how to tighten skin quite nicely over about 6 months time.
- If you use a glycolic lotion daily, you will notice your pores will appear smaller, you will have less acne and most types of acne scars, fine lines and wrinkles will smooth out, hyperpigmentation (sun damage) will fade, and the overall texture of your skin will improve!
- This is really really noticeable week by week and depending on how much pigmentation, fine lines, sun damage, acne scarring you have, most women see a YUUUUGE difference in about 3 months-maybe 6 months if more damage is there.
- Glycolic also acts as a water-binding agent, helping to plump the skin.
It is medically impossibly to shrink pores, but, pores do appear larger when your skin is not properly exfoliated. That’s because dead cells build up and clog the pore. When this happens, the pore (follicle) opens up by trying to “breathe” which makes it look larger.
When you use glycolic lotion, it acts as an exfoliant, allowing your pores to go back down to their original size. Also, when you remove the top layer of dead skin cells, other products in your skin care regimen are able to penetrate deeper. Other exfoliants we love are our Vitamin C mask and our kelzyme which both tighten your skin as they de-pore you.
Recently parthenogenetic stem cell peptides, growth factors and cytokines which are a part of every anti aging skin care regimen of the “stars” have been demonstrated to work WONDERS on shrinking pores.
And you get the added benes of less lines, wrinkles, better skin texture and firmer skin while you’re at it!
Here are some great before and after pics.
What can be done by Medical experts?
Skin resurfacing can be performed by a facial plastic surgeon or esthetic dermatologist. How deep the exfoliation is depends in part on the treatment and in part on what you hope to get out of it.
One option is a chemical peel, which will exfoliate the top layers of skin, so that your pores look less noticeable.
A chemical peel can provide a number of other benefits, too, including minimizing the appearance of lines and wrinkles and making your skin tone more even.
If the increased size of your pores is related to a loss of collagen as you age, a treatment such as Fraxel laser skin resurfacing or a non invasive Ultherapy skin regeneration treatment can help.
The heat and energy during a treatment session with Ultherapy helps stimulate the production of collagen beneath the surface of the skin.
This in turn increases the support structure and can help your pores return to their original size. If you are human growth hormone deficient you’ll get the side benes of less wrinkles and smaller pores with the addition of that hormone to your regimen.
If you want a ready made regimen which contains pore-shrinking exfoliants, and the magic Lifeline Proplus duo and will give your skin a younger appearance you might want to look at our “done for you” anti aging skin care kit.
If you’d like to substitue the salicylic acid cleanser for the cleansing milk you may do so.
All products are 20% discounted and you will receive an additional 10% lifetime products discount.
You also will receive a free optional consultation with me-the “Skin Queen” as my friends call me.
Enjoy my best selling book and don’t forget the newsletter!