UltraOmega DHA contains highly concentrated DHA (docosahexaenoic acid) from fish oil in its natural TG (triglyceride) form. As with all TruTG™ fish oil products, UltraOmega DHA is comprised of a minimum 90% natural TG-bound omega-3 oils. Each softgel provides 500 mg DHA + 110 mg EPA for optimal DHA status.
DHA is an important omega-3 fatty acid which plays an important role human physiology and is thought to have had a large impact on human evolution. DHA is not technically an essential fatty acid since the human body can synthesize very small, although insignificant, amounts of it from its short chain omega-3 precursor ALA (alpha linolenic acid). However, there is ample evidence which shows that in order to support optimal health and alleviate various pathological conditions, additional DHA along with EPA (eicosapentaenoic acid) should be obtained from diet and/or nutritional supplements.
Benefits of DHA:
- Anti-inflammatory diet addition – DHA is a precursor to docosanoids, which are regulating molecules produced by the COX-2 pathway that have anti-inflammatory, immune regulatory and protective actions in various inflammatory responses.
- Helps improve adult brain health.
- Improves depression.
- Assists with weight loss.
- Helps with the pain of arthritis.
- Helpful adjunct during chemotherapy – enhances apoptosis of cancer cells when given with chemotherapy.
- Cardiovascular benefits – helps to lower cardiovascular risk by reducing triglycerides and platelet aggregation.